The Help by Kathryn Stockett

00:35:00





I recently bought The Help by Kathryn Stockett, and I devoured it in what felt like seconds!

I wrote a little synospis of this book in one of my previous blog entries (What's New On My Bookshelf #1), so I'm basically just going to honestly copy and paste what I wrote before! :') :') 

"Three ordinary women are about to take one extraordinary step"

Aibileen is a wise black maid that is raising her seventeenth child. Something inside of her has shifted since the death of her beloved son - who died while his bosses looked the other way. She loves the child dearly, but because they live in Jackson, Mississippi in 1962, both their hearts may break.

Miss Skeeter has just graduated and returned home to Mississippi. Yet, despite her education, her mother will only be satisfied when she has a ring on her finger. Hearing about the troubles many black people face in her town troubles her terribly - but is there anything she can do about it? She would normally find solace in her maid, Constantine, but she has disappeared...and no one will tell Skeeter what happened.

Minny, Aibileen's best friend, is a short and fat black maid, with a sharp tongue. She can't control her sass, so she's lost yet another job. She is finally employed by a strange woman, with secrets of her own.

 These three women seem so different, yet they are brought together by the prejudice present in their seemingly pleasant town - which is actually shrouded by racism. 

WOW! WOW! WOW!
This novel was fabulous!
Stockett has created these characters with multiple dimensions, and there stories are so complex, meaning there are so many obstacles that get in their way! (So, the novel NEVER lags and gets boring — I was always on the edge of my seat)

See, because of my ancestral background, the racist events depicted during the book really hit home. I had tears in my eyes during a lot of the book, because I couldn't believe the discrimination against people.

Yet, it was interesting to see that Kathryn Stockett not only showed racial discrimination, but also created characters (eg. Hilly) that judged others on the way they looked, where they came from, who they were with and their past — even if they were white. In 1962, it's not just about judging black people, but most judged everyone they feared.

Needless to say, Kathryn Stockett is a BRILLIANT storyteller!
She captured my attention throughout the entire book, and I felt this sense of longing once I finished.

I am now going to watch the movie very soon! I've been wanting to read The Help and watch the movie, so I'm uber-excited!

Rating: 5/5!!!!!!!!!

SCENES FROM THE MOVIE:
 







You Might Also Like

0 comments

Here:

The owner of this blog is not compensated to give their opinion on the literature, websites, and/or various other topics that are reviewed. The views that are expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. The owner of this blog does not own any of the pictures posted on here, unless stated otherwise.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *